Sunday Stills



This week the subject was architecture. Honestly I got real excited about this subject. Hawaii is kind of psycho about architecture. Prior to western arrival they lived in huts. They had no metal so building anything was pretty much out of the question. They make canoes from whole trees. Then the first westerners arrive and the Hawaiians are fascinated with their boats and things. When the first Missionaries came and they realized the Hawaiians didn't have 'houses' like they were used to, they literally had entire structures dismantled and shipped to Hawaii and rebuilt. Then, of course, the Hawaiians got into building stuff themselves out of locally available material. So Hawaii is a real mixture of strange architecture so I was looking forward to taking some pictures. Then, of course, life got in the way. I found it Friday afternoon with no pictures taken. I had however, found myself at the old Barber's Point Naval Air Station, so I took some pictures there.

100_0793

100_0795
I found this church there. I have no idea how old this church is but it is built in the missionary style. Very simple and narrow wood siding. It could be quite old. The missionaries built churches all over the islands and many are still standing.

100_0797
Right next to the church I found this lovely example of 1960's?? military architecture. I find it hard to believe there was a time anyone ever found this attractive.


Then yesterday I found myself in downtown Honolulu where all the really cool buildings are.

DSC00983

This is Aloha Tower. It was built in the 1920's and at one time the tallest building in Honolulu. This is on the harbor and where the cruise ships come in. It also has a great little center around it where we went for lunch.

Then, just down the road from Aloha Tower, is the Iolani Palace.
DSC00995
There are only 3 royal palaces that sit on American soil and all are in Hawaii(one of them is the Hulihee Palace in Kona and Hulihee is my last name :) This palace was built in the late 1800's just before the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy.

Just across the street from the palace is the Hawaii Supreme Court:
DSC00999
With a rather ornate statue of King Kamehameha I in front of it. This was built around the same time as the palace.

Finally, just a block away is the Kawaiahao Church:
DSC01001
This church was built in 1839 out of coral rocks that were harvested from the ocean. It is still in use today.

Okay, I'm going to stop there. I have tons more pictures which I will save for another day. I'm off to Sunday Stills to see what everyone else did.

17 Responses to "Sunday Stills"

VioletSky (visit their site)

Ah, spoilt for choice!
I love the Aloha Tower - especially with the palm avenue. It must have looked very lonely before the trees grew up.

Shirley (visit their site)

The first two buildings paint a stark contrast to the following photos. Love the avenue of palms.

gtyyup (visit their site)

Shirley said it...what a difference!

The buildings in downtown are awesome! The history is also fascinating...nicely done!

Tracey (visit their site)

Very lovely buildings...and yes, such a contrast! I love the Aloha shot especially.

The Wife (visit their site)

Beautiful! Quite the difference from min! ;o)

Anonymous (visit their site)

Seriously Flo, where's the grass hut? I love the last one.

Rising Rainbow (visit their site)

It's great to get a look at Hawaii's architecture. They are all beautiful. I think the tower is my favorite too.

At the rate I'm going I'm never going to get there but I do still have lots of curiousity about it so it's fun to see pics.

CTG Ponies (visit their site)

Love the palace! Such a blend of styles in your pictures.

Caffienated Cowgirl (visit their site)

The Aloha Tower!!! Man, I haven't been there in years. The husband and I used to go to a Mexican restaurant there...before we were married.

Great photos :)

Ed (visit their site)

Sweet pics!! I've been to the palaces and downtown Honolulu, once again I miss it....

Sherri (visit their site)

Great shots, Flo. We have visited all the islands and spent most of our time on Maui and Kauai. I think people who haven't been to Hawaii or to only one island, really don't realize how different they are from one to the other. The architecture in Honolulu is really unique. Beautiful.

Jen Mo (visit their site)

Wow what great photos! I love all of them, but I really like the tower the best! I would love to one day visit Hawaii, maybe you can go to Ireland and I can go to Hawaii and then we can swap stories!

Andrea (visit their site)

WOW!!! Love all of these photos...especially the tower!!! Thanks for sharing a little piece of Hawaii with us. :)

Paula (visit their site)

I so enjoyed that tour! My favorite is the Aloha Tower. Really pretty!

Far Side of Fifty (visit their site)

Oh I love the White church..beautiful! Actually they are all lovely! :)

J9 (visit their site)

Hawaii is a beautiful place, and I think you captured her charming buildings quite well!

Anonymous (visit their site)

Great shots of the tower, palace and other downtown places. I believe the second photo is fast food architecture, not military. Now there is a challenge, unique fast food or restaurant shots, the buildings, not the food.