It's been a while

A long, long while. At the end of last month I began my real teaching adventure. I've been so exhausted I haven't had the energy to do anything else. Today was different. I was forced to take a trip to the Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri. I decided to take my camera and make the best of it. We went to the Mighty Mo first and all I can say is wow!! Absolutely wow!!!

100_0860

I'm standing on the bow of the Mo looking back at the gun turrets. Those were 16" guns (I think) and the shells for it weigh 2700 lbs - as much as a Volkswagen.

100_0863

This is the plaque in the deck where the surrender was signed. It's completely awe inspiring to think that Halsey, Nimitz, MacArthur stood right there and signed the document that supposedly brought peace to the world.

100_0865

This is a copy of the instrument of surrender was signed on the surrender deck of the ship (that's what it's called). After the instrument of surrender was signed, MacArthur said "Let 'em fly" and 1,000 planes that had been circling over the ocean flew over the ships and Tokyo. I thought that was kind of a slap in the face to Japan.

100_0864

This was interesting. This is the plaque in the floor and it's surrounded by a chain to keep people off it. That group on the other side is a group of Japanese. The tour guide is explaining to them what happened in Japanese. I can't help but wonder what is going through their minds when they hear this stuff. I realize it was 68 years ago but still, it was a moment of great shame in Japanese history. I can't help but wonder what they think of it all.

100_0861

Finally, here I am having way too much fun playing with the machine gun. I liked it. I want one of these in my yard. :)

4 Responses to "It's been a while"

Sherri (visit their site)

Awesome shot of Mighty MO. Glad to see your post.

Jackie (visit their site)

Wow these are fabulous shots!! All of your photos are just wonderful!!
I hope you have a great evening!
Jackie

Ed (visit their site)

Great shots! none from the side? You look like a natural behind the M2 thats a 50cal. As for the tourists its all a part of history and we want to ba a part of it, you have the Missouri there and the Arizona Memorial, kinda the beginning and the end all in one place...:-)

Sherri (visit their site)

My hubby and I visited there in 2003 when we spent 2 days on Oahu before going on to Kauai. I have a picture in my archives somewhere of the beautiful mural at the Visitor Center there. I was struck by how peaceful it was there the day we visited. Tourists were quiet and seemed very subdued -- overawed maybe? It is a memorial I will never forget.